Monday, February 4, 2008

Enough snow!

Many people are enchanted by snow – I honestly would rather it were summer already. I cannot wait to bicycle to the university, walk around in the mountains with plenty of daylight and no ice or avalanches, and step outside without first wrapping multiple layers of fleece over every part of my body. Many days were bitterly cold, and hiking was painful and short, such as a trip out on Mendenhall Lake to check out the icebergs up close:




I thought my nose was going to freeze off on that one hour mini-adventure.

I then went back up the side of Mount Juneau to look for the goats, with Ian and Mac. It was a fun hike even though I was not wearing crampons and I kept sliding. I just tried to stay off the ridge where it was most icy and dangerous. The photo below is from the bottom of the trail that we started from. Ian and Mac are standing in front of an old gold mine tunnel.


I went back to Mendenhall flats, and once again I was absolutely freezing. This time I didn’t see any unusual birds at all, so I just walked around in the snow with Ian.



Most of my time is taken up by school, though, and some of my classes are very interesting. In decreasing order of interest they are: introduction to oceanography, history of the US II, Spanish conversation, literature and the sense of place, poetry studies. Of course, it isn’t so much the topic that makes a class more interesting than another, as the instructor and material.

And Jad – the pilot who owns the place that Ian and I are sleeping on - just got back this morning. For Ian it is bad news because now he has to sleep on the couch. As for me, I hardly know anyone in Juneau so I am happy to have another familiar face around. So far I only know a handful of Army buddies, and Roman, another Sitka “expatriate.”

As far as long-term plans are concerned, I have some vague ideas which are subject to change of course. I am planning to go to Sitka over spring break (late March) and look at perhaps finding a chunk of land that I could buy. Of course, everything there is VERY expensive, so I may or may not be successful in that particular endeavor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much time in warm climates? I guess you'll get toughened up again soon, maybe just in time for Spring! I'm looking forward to warmer weather as well, though it can be fun to wander the woods in the snow.

Land sure is expensive here, about the cheapest thing I've seen is $60,000 for a 1.1 acre lot on Kasiana Island.

Anonymous said...

Paul
I’ve been enjoying your blog entries. I hope things go well for you in Juneau. I visited there once when I took the ferry home after my summer job in Fairbanks. The hiking was amazing and I met some great people!

Have you checked out the "Up in Alaska" blog? It’s a woman who lives in Juneau; she’s a mountain biker and great photographer.
http://arcticglass.blogspot.com/
She’s training for the Iditarod bike race later this month and rode 833 miles last month in Juneau! Perhaps it’s not too early in the year to start riding to school:)

I miss it up there, I’ve looked at a couple of jobs in Alaska over the last few years, but it looks like we are committed to Seattle for now.