Thursday, November 27, 2008

California beach birds

I am in Laguna Niguel, California for Thanksgiving, and it's been nice so far. I got myself a new camera to replace my other one that won't turn on anymore and is no longer under warranty. Of course, the birds are very different down here, and I wanted to play with my new toy so I bicycled down to the beach and took some pictures.

This is a bushtit Psaltriparus minimus:


And a whimbrel Numenius phaeopus:


And this is the western gull, Larus occidentalis:


A really fantastic gull, the Heermann's gull Larus Heermanni:


This one isn't as exotic, but I've never seen one in Sitka so it's fun to see it anyways. The ring-billed gull, Larus delawarensis:


A bunch of coots, Fulica americana:


And finally, a willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus:

.

No comments: