Sunday, October 5, 2008

A little glimpse of Mongolian culture

The Mongolians are very, very proud of their heritage. People kept telling me about the names for different parts of horse equipment, giving me small bills so that I would remember the famous people depicted on them, and the government put up some shows so that the soldiers from all those different country would come away with a broadened knowledge of Mongolian culture. This woman is doing a fascinating snake dance (by the way, many Mongolian women are very beautiful):


I had heard about horse violins before, but this cello version was even cooler:


Definitely my favorite was this concert, with two women dancing to a throat song, acting entranced. It was very, very impressive.


And another dancer:


Finally, an archer shooting the traditional bone bow.


.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where was this?