Saturday, April 26, 2008

A week in Sitka

I just came back from a week in Sitka – during which of course I was enjoying myself too much to update this blog. I really need to force myself to post at least once a week.

I have a new address, a new phone number for when I get back to Sitka (probably May 5), and even a cell phone for my job. If you didn’t get my contact information, just write me an e-mail and I will fix that.

Hiking in Sitka was much better than in Juneau. I even found the giant hemlock! At least, I found a giant hemlock that is most likely the one I’d been told about. It was fairly easy to find, and in fact I was able to go right back to it the next day. Birdwatching was good as well, with the following (common) species photographed:

White-fronted Goose Anser albifrons:

Back-bellied Plover Pluvialis squarotula:


Common Merganser Mergus merganser:


Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa:

I also got to see Bonaparte’s gulls, rhinoceros auklets, a northern shrike (same as great-grey shrike in the UK), and lots of other neat birds. There were even some early flowering plants, but I am trying to save those up for a later post that would be dedicated to them. Hopefully it doesn’t turn out like Kuwait where I ended up never doing a post on plants…

The next few days will be dedicated largely to final exams and term papers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul! Where did you go? I just found this site and want to hear more!? I live in the Sonoran Desert and am PEAKED with curiousity as to what else you'll find! I really don't see myself getting over there, until you guys leave! -no offense!
(Please come baaack! And please be safe!)
-Fellow Naturalist Nut