Friday, March 30, 2007

I am moving to a new location!

There was recently a call for a few volunteers to leave the platoon and be attached to other companies. Of course, I always volunteer for this kind of change of pace so I am one of the lucky few. All we know so far is that we’ll be going to different parts of the country, and we don’t yet know for sure what our jobs are going to be. I am hoping that I will get lucky and get something interesting. Some of the drawbacks are that I might get a very boring mission, and that I will have to give up the creature comforts of Camp Buehring (easy access to internet, a comfortable trailer with just three people per room, an easy environment in which to do physical fitness training, etc…). I will send my new APO address out to everyone who might need it after I find out which company I will become part of and where I will be based out of.

Today we did a successful “quick reaction force” exercise that involved flying out into the desert on Blackhawk helicopters. Although the flights were short, flying is always fun and a welcome respite from the regular humvee-based patrols and exercises. I took a few pictures, since I will be leaving soon and I wanted to have souvenirs from the fire team and squad I was in for such a short period of time. Also, a lot of people enjoy getting pictures of themselves for their relatives. This one is of private first class (PFC) Bates, who is on the other fire team in my squad. The green smoke grenade is one of the signals that we can use to communicate with helicopters when we are out in the desert. We use grenades of several different colors, which do a great job of signalling in the daytime.

No comments: